October 13, 2014

When is YOUR Next Lollipop Moment?



I love the comments to my blog.   It shows me that people are reading.  What good is it to write if nobody reads?   Another benefit is getting turned on to new ideas. 

One such idea are Lollipop moments.    A colleague, Marla McCowan, turned me onto Drew Dudley’s TEDTalk about “Leading with Lollipops.”   Watch it on YouTube www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVCBrkrFrBE.   It’s only 6 minutes.   And it will remind you how powerful we are when we connect.

What is a Lollipop moment?   It’s a moment in our lives where we have made someone’s life better.   It could be a large or small.   No matter the size of the impact, each one of us has been the catalyst for a lollipop moment.  You have made somebody’s life better.   If you think you have not been the catalyst for Lollipop moment, you are just one of the people who haven’t been acknowledged yet.   This is what needs to be changed.

Drew Dudley’s Lollipop moment is a forgotten one from college.  Drew was welcoming new students.   There was a freshman girl, scared and ready to quit before she started.   Drew gave a lollipop to a man standing next to the scared woman.  Drew told that man, “Give that lollipop to the beautiful girl who is right next to you.”  Five years later, Drew received an invitation to this couple’s wedding.

The sad part is that Drew did not remember this moment.   No one acknowledged that lollipop leadership moment, including Drew himself, until years later when the moment was already forgotten.

Why don’t we embrace all our Lollipop moments?   One of the reasons is that we have a hard time accepting that we are powerful enough to be leaders.   It is scary to think we matter that much to other people.   It feels arrogant to say you are a leader.   It is a lot of pressure to be a leader.

If we just change our thinking about leadership, we can feel more connected.   Leadership is not just for presidents.   We all lead, everyday.  We just don’t realize or acknowledge it.   Leaders are in everyday moments. 

What if each day, we took a moment, and let another person know how they have enriched your life.   It only takes a few minutes.   Just think of how you would feel if you received a note each day.  

I received such a note over the weekend.   It made me feel good.   I teach trial skills at Trial Lawyers College founded by legendary trial attorney #GerrySpence.  While a student at Trial Lawyers College, Carl Bettinger, an attorney, introduced me to improv.   I fell in love with it.   I see the benefits of it.   It helps with listening and reacting in the moment without a script.   Essential tools as a trial attorney, and for anyone for that matter.   And it is just plain fun.   You feel like a kid again.

I have taught improv at Trial Lawyers College.   I love to introduce it to people.   Most are timid at first.   I never understood why.   I think it’s the fear of judgment.   What if I they think I’m not funny?  What if I look stupid?   What if I don’t know what to say next?   It’s easier to not play, than to take the risk.

Many do take the risk.   They jump in and receive much in return.   Over the weekend, a day after I watched the Lollipop TedTalk, I received this note from a former student who is a practicing trial attorney:

         Dear Cheryl:

         Tonight I performed in my third improv show this year. 
            And I wanted to take a minute to thank you.

            Playing games that you and Kim [Benjamin] lead at the
            ranch [Trial Lawyers College] really moved me to learn
            more about improv. It took me awhile to get involved,
            but I've taken several classes this year and am having
            a great time.

            There is a great improv community here in OKC and I'm            
            amazed at how similar the concepts of successful improv
            and TLC [Trial Lawyers College] are.

            I hope that you have a glorious sabbatical.

            Your Brother,
            Jacob


Jacob’s words touched me greatly.    It meant so much to know that my actions, three hours of my life, touched another person for the better.   To know that I inspired Jacob to take improv classes and to know he is enjoying them, makes me feel connected to Jacob.   I also feel connected to Carl Bettinger, who first introduced me to improv.  I feel connected to Trial Lawyers College where I get a chance to play with other attorneys.

How to Have More Lollipop Moments

How do we have more Lollipop moments?   How do we grow more connected with each other everyday?  Isn’t that the purpose of life?  Well, it’s actually quite easy. As Drew Dudley says, it only takes three things:

1.  Create Lollipop moments

            We must embrace our innate leader.   We all lead.   Share your passion and
            talent with others.   It doesn’t have to be talent in rocket science.   It can be
            your talent for gardening .   For music, either playing or fan.   When we
            speak from passion and talent, we inspire Lollipop moments.   Others
            feel us and jump into the moment with us.   Just like Jacob did during improv.
            He had never played before.   Complete novice.   But he jumped into the fun of                                       
            it.

2.  Acknowledge Lollipop moments

            Tell the person how their action affected you for the better.   It can be
            anything.   How wonderful does it feel to know somebody is thinking about
            you?   That he or she is remembering a past interaction and how it impacts
            them now.   It’s leadership.  It’s connection.   When you tell another how they
            helped you, you also inspire them to do the next step…

3.  Pay Lollipops forward
           
            When you receive an acknowledgment note of appreciation, use those good feelings 
            to pay it forward.   Write a note of your own.   Go out and connect
            with someone.   Lead a meeting, neighborhood function or a family vacation.              
            When you act with passion, you will lead and inspire.  


Lick more Lollipops!   Enjoy, lead and connect.

4 comments:

  1. You are my example of a brave warrior and I cherish all of my moments with you. Thank you for introducing me to improv. It makes me remember those times as a kid where I played without fear of judgment and the self-critic. You are an inspiration! Kim Benjamin

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were a lollipop moment to me also. I think TLC is probably filled with them. It was 2010 during the death penalty week. I was a skeptic. We were in the big barn doing one of those exercises where they ask a question and you put your hand on the shoulder of someone as your answer. I can't remember the exact question but it was something like "choose someone you want to learn more about" and you chose me. I thought, why the heck would she want to know more about me? Of course, all it did was make me want to know more about you. You also got me involved in an Improv night during that week and we all laughed our butts off. I have been a fairly quiet facebook stalker of yours since then and have enjoyed watching your kids grow and seeing the work you are involved in. I also noticed the impact TLC had on you. So, recently, when I could feel the weight of the world back on my shoulders, I remembered the big barn, the laughter, the good people and said I need to get back there. With your encouragement and example, I graduated the 3-week course. So, thank you for simply taking an interest in me one day long ago. You have been a terrific example for me ever since. Now, I expect one of your future blogs to be on Improv and where I can get some fun examples to use with my kids. I am sad to report there was NO IMPROV during my 3 week stay in Wyoming. It was much needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kim! Feeling like a kid again is the goal. I watch my boys play. Spontaneously. I see other children at school and football games. Kids run. They chase and laugh. Let's be kids - forever

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane, your post meant a lot to me. Ironic that I don't remember putting my hand on your shoulder. Just like the speaker in the tedtalk. I'm not surprised I put my hand on you. You have a quiet strength and story inside of you. Plus anybody that David Hemingway loves, so do I.

    No improv is a travesty! You know I'll always bring it with me and ask you all to play with me

    ReplyDelete